Advertorial: TÜV SÜD Chemie Service
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH, headquartered in Leverkusen, Germany, is a full-service provider for the international chemical, pharmaceutical and process industries. The company‘s experts apply their long-standing experience in providing integrated services, focusing on ensuring safe, reliable and profitable plants with a high level of availability. The company evolved from the internal testing and inspection divisions of German chemical companies Bayer, Dow Olefinverbund and Hoechst. Today it is a member of TÜV SÜD AG, a third-party testing and certification company with roots going back to 1866, when the owners of steam boilers in industrial centres decided to establish the first steam boiler inspection associations.
„Nowadays, our industry is undergoing major changes triggered by increasingly complex process systems, innovative solutions in plant engineering, global sourcing and modern materials“, says Dr Hans-Nicolaus Rindfleisch, CEO of TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH. „In-depth expertise and, primarily, experience are particularly critical in coping with new challenges and serving as a reliable partner for industry worldwide. Our staff has professional backgrounds in the chemical and process industries. As production and project engineers and experts, they have spent many years in specialist positions at the leading companies in these sectors and have gathered extensive experience and unparalleled know-how.“
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service supports designers and owners throughout the life cycle of chemical and process plants – from planning through procurement, assembly, placing into service, operation and maintenance to shutdown and decommissioning. The company‘s core competencies cover tailored testing, certification and engineering services. The company offers integrated support and end-to-end quality management for all projects.
From planning and procurement through to the commissioning of a plant, TÜV SÜD‘s experts provide services including integrated sourcing strategies for equipment, state-of-the-art non-destructive testing, materials testing and materials recommendations in addition to corrosion protection expertise and the management of pipe classes, particularly with respect to changing codes, regulations, ordinances and standards. Further services include support in the selection and auditing of suppliers, in construction design and in the definition of further specifications. The accredited testing organisation is also recognised as a Notified Body and Approved Body, a status which ultimately facilitates the placing on the market or putting into service of systems and components.
TÜV SÜD‘s services from commissioning through to decommissioning of a plant include cost-effective compliance with legal requirements, for example before the plant is placed into service and the systematic and proactive improvement of safety with the help of HAZOP studies. The experts at TÜV SÜD Chemie Service also carry out hazard and risk assessment and offer optimised risk-based turnaround strategies. In addition to classification of failure probabilities, they supply life cycle assessment for components and damage analysis. Further special services provided by the company include in-service corrosion monitoring and the activities provided by its accredited in-house testing laboratories.
Dr Hans-Nicolaus Rindfleisch explains, „Our clients additionally benefit from software-based data management and end-to-end technical documentation. In this context, reliable scheduling and execution of the inspection and test services and their documentation in compliance with legal requirements contribute significantly to successful compliance management.“
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service and its experts are represented at major chemical and industrial centres both in Germany and internationally, given that most large-scale chemical and pharmaceutical companies also operate at global level. „Focus on our customers, with an open ear for their needs and the specific challenges they face, plays a critical role in our definition of our part as a service provider“, says Dr Hans-Nicolaus Rindfleisch. „This also includes offering premium quality services from a single source at global level. In recent years, we have established and expanded representations in the USA, China, Singapore and India. Given this, we are now able to provide local support to our partners in important international growth markets worldwide.“
Services at a glance:
Plant & Equipment Integrity
- Quality management for investment projects throughout the world in accordance with national and international standards (AD 2000,
- EN 13445/13480, ASME, China GB), national regulations and customer specifications
- Support for manufacturer selection / auditing
- Review of purchasing specifications
- Support in issues addressing constructional design and material or welding requirements
- Strength, structural and stability analyses
- Stress and special analyses (e.g. FEM)
- Monitoring of production and quality assurance
- Approvals, inspections and certifications as per PED (Pressure Equipment Directive)
- Expediting and integrated quality management
Plant Safety & Inspection
- Expert reports (water legislation, German Air Pollution Control Act, German Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health)
- Support with safety issues and solutions
- Assistance with hazard assessments
- Systematic safety assessments
- Periodic inspections in the operation phase of production facilities as per the German Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health and water legislation (machinery, cranes and lifting installations and containers subject to transport law)
- Inspection of safety / process instrumentation, control systems and explosion protection measures
- Failure analyses and assessments
- Verification of maintenance measures
- Assessment of specialist workshops and organisations as per WHG (Water Management Act)
- Data administration and monitoring of inspection tools via proprietary IT tools
- Training of operating personnel / competent persons
- Support in the implementation of Knowledge Based Inspection / RBI /TÜV-RoiM® schemes
- Conventional and innovative non-destructive test methods
- Mechanical and technological tests
- Metallographic examinations and microstructural analyses (stationary and mobile)
- Corrosion monitoring
- Failure analyses and expert reports
- Testing laboratory for plastics and long-term creep
- Expert reports on materials and corrosion protection
- Support in material selection where corrosion resistance and durability are critical
- Support and expertise for sealing systems
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH offers multidisciplinary project and system solutions and integrated processes for the chemical, process and pharmaceutical industries at international level.
A 100 % subsidiary of TÜV SÜD AG, the third-party service provider evolved from the former in-company testing and inspection units at the German chemical and pharmaceutical companies Bayer, Dow Olefinverbund and Hoechst and the materials technology unit of Hoechst.
The experts at the company contribute their longstanding experience in carrying out statutory and regulatory inspections and certification of plants, and provide individual support to owners to ensure improved safety, reliability and availability of their plants and their profitable operation. The inspection and certification body holds accreditations as a Notified Body and Approved Body. Operating from its sites in Germany, the USA, China, Singapore and India, the experts of TÜV SÜD Chemie Service support their clients in international growth markets worldwide.
TÜV SÜD AG is an international service organisation catering to the strategic business segments INDUSTRY, MOBILITY and CERTIFICATION. Over 17,000 employees are represented at more than 800 locations worldwide. The interdisciplinary specialist teams work towards optimising technology, systems and know-how. As process partners they strengthen their clients‘ competitiveness worldwide.