Artikel The Chemical Industrial Park Knapsack
A “powerhouse” in the heart of Europe
Advertorial aus CT Special Industrial Parks 2012
The Chemical Industrial Park Knapsack is located in the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia, the most important chemical and energy location in Germany.
Chemiepark Knapsack, Infraserv
Just under 30% of all foreign investments are concentrated in this region due to it having the largest buying and selling market in Europe. The circa 180 hectare Chemical Industrial Park Knapsack is located just 10 kilometers south west of Cologne. The site has excellent access to the Rhineland highway network enabling the fast transfer of goods to customers throughout Europe.
Key benefits for investors: Excellent connections
Direct highway access (Knapsack), without having to deal with a cross town link, is just four kilometers away. 3 international airports are conveniently located within 20 to 60 minutes. The chemical park's own public container terminal acts as a satellite terminal for the regional mega-terminal Cologne-Eifeltor (Köln-Eifeltor) as well as for a second major terminal situated 20 km away in the Harbor Köln-Niehl. This harbor has connections to all of North Sea's overseas ports.
The Chemical Industrial Park Knapsack is connected to the European chemical pipeline network.
Full service "Plug & Play" site
InfraServ Knapsack, owner and site operator, offers a plug & play concept for investors. The companies choose the services that suit their business model from a wide range offered by InfraServ Knapsack. Major benefits are the shared site infrastructure and overheads that are more cost-effective as well as the integrated know-how structures.
The numerous associative possibilities with renowned and international companies located on the site as well as with companies in the region serve the sustainable further development of the Chemical Industrial Park Knapsack. Investors can expect to find optimal economic conditions and individual solutions for their business models.
Competitive energies & utilities
Two new power station projects have been realized to assure a steady power supply at affordable costs. A secure power supply is a key factor for profitable operation of industrial plants. For energy-intensive process industries, the advantages offered by The Chemical Industrial Park Knapsack are clear, as they benefit from strategically designed infrastructure that guarantees a seamless power supply at affordable costs.
In 2007, Statkraft's 800 MW Gas and steam power station went into operation and in early 2009, the 30 MW RDF power station project from E.ON Energy from Waste Saarbrücken GmbH and InfraServ Knapsack started production.
New investment projects
The Norwegian energy company Statkraft is planning to build at the Chemiepark Knapsack a second combined-cycle power plant (CHP). The new power plant will have a generation capacity of approximately 430 megawatts. This corresponds to about half the power of the existing combined cycle power plant (CCPP) in the Chemical Park in Knapsack, which has a total power of 800 megawatts.
Switzerland based Clariant Group actually extends their flame retardant plant in the Chemical Park Knapsack. Production start is planned in mid-2012.
InfraServ Knapsack company profile
As the chemical park owner and operator, InfraServ Knapsack offers circa 7 international companies operating in the chemical industry (production of organic and inorganic chemicals, crop protection products, fine and special chemicals, plastics) excellent opportunities to operate their production plants. Yet, InfraServ Knapsack does not only serve customers in the chemical park.
They also offer a full range of services from just one source to customers outside the park. Services include plant planning and construction as well as the maintenance and certification of industrial plants. InfraServ Knapsack can draw on their decades of practical experience in this sector.
- 180 hectares in total, 35 ha vacant space
- One 20 ha plot available
- Excellent rail and road connections
- Container terminal on site
- Connection to chemical pipeline
- (natural gas, ethylene, steam etc.)
- One stop customer service
- Two waste water treatment plants on site
Potential business partners:
- Bayer CropScience AG: plant protection products
- CABB GmbH: producer of monochloracetic acid and derivates
- Clariant Produkte (Deutschland) GmbH: spezial chemicals like halogen free flame retardants, runway deicer, R&D for environment friendly flame retardants
- E-ON Energy from Waste Saarbrücken GmbH:RDF power plant
- LyondellBasell Industries: producer of polypropylene
- Praxair Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG: industrial gas producer
- Nexans SuperConductors GmbH: R&D and production of materials and components based on high temperature superconducters
- Statkraft (Knapsack Power): gas and steam power plant
- Thermphos Deutschland GmbH: produces phosphorus products (phosphorus pentasulfide) additive product for lubricants
- Vinnolit GmbH & Co .KG: producer of polyvinyl, chloride,
- 2,200 employees
- More than 1 billion Euro investment on site between 2000 - 2009
Services (Full Service "Plug&Play"):
- Health, safety, and environmental
- Energy supply (electricity, natural gas, steam, compressed air, industrial gases, water)
- Energy management
- Waste management
- Industrial maintenance & construction
- Analytical services
- Engineering & Contracting
- Information technology
- Personnel management
Ausgabe:S2/2011 Compendium Industrial Parks 2012
Pharmaserv GmbH & Co. KG