TÜV SÜD Chemie Service
The company‘s experts apply their long-standing experience by providing integrated services focusing on ensuring safe, reliable and profitable plants with a high level of availability. The company evolved from the internal testing and inspection divisions of the German chemical companies Bayer, Dow Olefinverbund and Hoechst. TÜV SÜD Chemie Service is today a member of the TÜV SÜD AG group of companies. The origins of TÜV SÜD AG as a third-party testing and certification organisation go back to 1866, when the owners of steam boilers in industrial centres decided to establish the first steam boiler inspection associations.
„Nowadays, our industry is undergoing major changes triggered by increasingly complex process systems, innovative solutions in plant engineering, global sourcing and modern materials“, says Dr Hans-Nicolaus Rindfleisch, CEO of TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH and Business Unit Manager Chemical, Oil & Gas (COG) at TÜV SÜD. „In-depth expertise and, primarily, experience are particularly critical in coping with new challenges and serving as a reliable partner for industries worldwide. Our staff has a professional background in the chemical and process industries. As production and project engineers and experts, they have spent many years in specialist positions at the leading companies in these sectors and have gathered extensive experience and unparalleled know-how.“ Acting as mentor, Dr Rindfleisch is working with TÜV SÜD‘s management team and national directors to develop a comprehensive COG service programme.
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service supports designers and owners throughout the life cycle of chemical and process plants – from planning, procurement, installation, placing into service, operation and maintenance to shutdown and decommissioning. The company‘s core competence covers tailored testing, certification and engineering services, by offering integrated support and full quality management for all projects.
From planning and procurement through to placing into service/commissioning of a plant, TÜV SÜD Chemie Service and its experts provide services including integrated sourcing strategies for equipment, state-of-the-art non-destructive testing, materials testing and materials recommendations in addition to corrosion protection expertise and the management of pipe classes, particularly with respect to changing codes, regulations, ordinances and standards. Further services include support in the selection and auditing of suppliers, in construction design and in the definition of further specifications. The accredited testing organisation is also recognised as a Notified Body and Approved Body, a status which ultimately facilitates the placing on the market or putting into service of systems and components.
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service‘s approach from commissioning through to decommissioning of a plant includes cost-effective compliance with legal requirements by offering all relevant inspections and test in operation and maintenance. The experts at TÜV SÜD Chemie Service also carry out hazard and risk assessment and offer optimised risk-based turnaround strategies. Clients additionally benefit from software-based data management and end-to-end technical documentation. Reliable scheduling and execution of the inspection and test services and their documentation contribute significantly to successful compliance management. During the plant life cycle TÜV SÜD Chemie Service provides consulting services by using the HAZOP procedure for the systematic review of all possible process aspects, verifying that the design of a plant incorporates adequate safe guards to allow the process to come back to normal or to safe shut down.
To complement its portfolio of services TÜV SÜD acquired the Swissi Process Safety GmbH, which offers established laboratory and premium consultancy services. Swissi Process Safety focuses on determining data and reaction parameters for thermal process safety, explosion protection and safety assessments within the scope of the Seveso Directive in Europe.
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service and its experts are represented at major chemical and industrial centres both in Germany and abroad, given that most large-scale chemical and pharmaceutical companies also operate globally. Especially the chemical, oil and gas sector is dominated by international investment projects and global sourcing. Construction of world-scale plants is increasingly moving over to emerging markets. Intensive quality assurance and design and manufacturing that conform to standards are factors of crucial importance. TÜV SÜD‘s Chemical, Oil & Gas (COG) business unit was established to deliver these critical factors. It therefore brings together the company‘s services for the chemical, oil and gas process industries.
Based on decades of experience in the chemical and process industry, the experts have adopted the indispensable high level of quality as a core value, turning COG into an international leading specialist and provider of services for reliable, sustainable and cost-effective plant safety. „The new special project-related challenges which confront our experts time and again can only be solved by relying on global networks that share expertise, knowledge and know-how“, says Dr Hans-Nicolaus Rindfleisch. „This also includes offering premium quality services from a single source at global level.“
The Business Unit offers clients one-stop services at consistently high standards throughout the world. Sector-specific service packages help to control investment costs and operating costs as well as minimising the risks of service interruption or downtime. All experts at the company contribute their longstanding experience in carrying out statutory and regulatory inspections and certification of plants. They provide individual support to owners to ensure improved safety, reliability and availability of their plants and their profitable operation. Over 1,000 employees work at more than 30 locations on three continents, providing local support in these globally operating industries.
Services at a Glance:
Process Safety Management
- Explosion protection and explosion protection documents (esp. electrostatics)
- Thermal process safety concepts, process optimisation, pressure relief
- Assessment of criticality of powders, liquids and gases
- Selection of safety concepts and preventive actions
- Internal guidelines, expert reports, expert opinions, incident reports, audits, project management
- Risk assessments (ZHA, HAZOP, HAZAN, PAAG, FMEA, AMDEC, SIL…)
- REACH classification, labelling and packaging (CLP)
- Industrial health and safety, management systems, environmental protection
- Training courses, experiment presentations (electrostatics, explosions 1:1)
Plant & Equipment Integrity
- Quality management for investment projects throughout the world in accordance with national and international standards (AD 2000, EN 13445/13480, ASME, China GB), national regulations and customer specifications
- Support for manufacturer selection / auditing
- Review of purchasing specifications
- Support in issues addressing constructional design and material or welding requirements
- Strength, structural and stability analyses
- Stress and special analyses (e.g. FEM)
- Monitoring of production and quality assurance
- Approvals, inspections, certifications as per PED (Pressure Equipment Directive)
Plant Safety & Inspection
- Expert reports (water legislation, German Air Pollution Control Act, German Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health)
- Support with safety issues and solutions
- Assistance with hazard assessments
- Systematic safety assessments
- Periodic inspections in the operation phase of production facilities as per the German Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health and water legislation (machinery, cranes and lifting installations and containers subject to transport law)
- Inspection of safety/process instrumentation, control systems and explosion protection measures
- Failure analyses and assessments
- Verification of maintenance measures
- Assessment of specialist workshops and organisations as per WHG (Water Management Act)
- Data administration and monitoring of inspection tools via proprietary IT tools
- Training of operating personnel / competent persons
- Support in the implementation of Knowledge Based Inspection/RBI/TÜV-RoiM® schemes
- Conventional and innovative non-destructive test methods
- Mechanical and technological tests
- Metallographic examinations and microstructural analyses (stationary/mobile)
- Corrosion monitoring
- Failure analyses and expert reports
- Testing laboratory for plastics and long-term creep
- Ultra-modern material testing laboratory in Frankfurt-Kalbach
- Destructive and non-destructive material testing
- Expert reports on materials and corrosion protection
- Support in material selection where corrosion resistance and durability are critical
- Support and expertise for sealing systems
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH offers multidisciplinary project and system solutions and integrated processes for the chemical, process and pharmaceutical industries at international level. The inspection and certification body holds accreditations as a Notified Body and Approved Body. A 100 % subsidiary of TÜV SÜD AG, the service provider evolved from the former in-company testing and inspection units at the German chemical and pharmaceutical companies Bayer, Dow Olefinverbund and Hoechst and the materials technology unit of Hoechst. Operating from its sites in Germany, the USA, China, Singapore and India, the experts of TÜV SÜD Chemie Service support their clients in international growth
TÜV SÜD AG is an international service organisation catering to the strategic business segments. INDUSTRY, MOBILITY and CERTIFICATION. Over 19,000 employees are represented at more than 800 locations worldwide. The interdisciplinary specialist teams work towards optimising technology, systems and know-how. As process partners they strengthen their clients‘ competitiveness worldwide.
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH
Kaiser Wilhelm Allee
Building B 407
Tel.: +49 (0) 214 30-28183
Fax: +49 (0) 214 30-28197