TÜV SÜD Chemie Service
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH, headquartered in Leverkusen, Germany, is a full-service provider for the international chemical, pharmaceutical, oil and gas process industries. Based on their long-standing experience, the company’s experts provide integrated services with a focus on ensuring safe, reliable and profitable plants with a high level of availability. The company was formed from merging the owner’s inspectorates of blue chip chemical companies such as Bayer, Dow Olefinverbund and Hoechst. Today TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH is a fully owned subsidiary of TÜV SÜD AG. The origins of TÜV SÜD AG as a third-party testing and certification organisation go back to 1866, when the owners of steam boilers in industrial centres decided to establish the first steam boiler inspection associations.
“Nowadays, our industry is undergoing major changes triggered by increasingly complex process systems, innovative solutions in plant engineering, global sourcing and modern materials”, says Dr Hans-Nicolaus Rindfleisch, CEO of TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH and business unit Manager Chemical, Oil & Gas (COG) at TÜV SÜD. “In-depth expertise and, primarily, professional experience are particularly critical in coping with new challenges and serving as a reliable partner for customers globally. Our staff have professional background in the chemical and process industries. As production and project engineers and experts, they spent several years in specialist positions at the leading companies in these sectors and have gathered extensive experience and unparalleled know-how.” Acting as mentor, Dr Rindfleisch has developed a comprehensive COG service programme together with TÜV SÜD‘s management team and national directors. Operating from their sites in Europe, the USA, China, Singapore and India, the experts of the global business unit Chemical, Oil and Gas, which is headed by TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH, support their customers globally.
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service stands by designers and owners throughout the life cycle of chemical and process plants – from planning, procurement, installation, placing into service, operation and maintenance to shutdown and decommissioning. The company’s core competence covers tailored testing, certification and engineering services, by offering integrated support and full quality management for investment and expansion projects.
From planning and procurement to placing into service/commissioning of a plant, TÜV SÜD Chemie Service and its experts provide services including integrated sourcing strategies for equipment, materials testing and materials recommendations in addition to corrosion protection expertise and the management of pipe classes, particularly with respect to changing codes, regulations, ordinances and standards. Further services include support in selecting and auditing suppliers, in construction design and in defining specifications. The accredited testing organisation is also recognised as a Notified Body and Approved Body, a status which ultimately facilitates launching components and entire systems.
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service’s approach to support its customers along the life cycle of their assets from commissioning to decommissioning ensures cost-efficient compliance with legal requirements. Besides inspections, our experts provide hazard and risk assessment services and develop optimised risk-based turnaround strategies. Operators also benefit from software-based data management and end-to-end technical documentation. Reliable scheduling and execution of the inspection and test services including documentation are significant contributors to successful compliance management. Further, TÜV SÜD Chemie Service offers consulting services based on the HAZOP procedure for the systematic risk review of all possible process aspects, to ensure that the design incorporates adequate safe guards to allow a process to stabilise at a normal level or for a safe shut down.
The brand TÜV SÜD Process Safety was recently launched to further complement the existing product portfolio with a well-established laboratory facility and premium consultancy services. This allows TÜV SÜD to determine data and reaction parameters for thermal process safety, explosion protection and safety assessments within the scope of the Seveso Directive in Europe. All TÜV SÜD Process Safety activities are managed from TÜV SÜD Schweiz AG which was formed in 2016 from consolidating TÜV SÜD’s activities in Switzerland including Swissi Process Safety GmbH in a new legal entity. TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH and its experts are located close to their customers in major chemical and industrial centres across Germany and operate through TÜV SÜD’s global presence to serve customers on a global scale. In order to increase cost efficiency large investment projects in the chemical, oil and gas sector typically include global sourcing strategies. In recent years, the construction of world-scale plants has increasingly moved to emerging markets. Dedicated quality assurance (based on regulatory and customer specific standards) in the design and manufacturing phase of equipment is of crucial importance. TÜV SÜD‘s global business unit Chemical, Oil & Gas was established to deliver these critical services around the globe.
Based on decades of in-depth industry experience, TÜV SÜD’s experts are dedicated to delivering the essential high quality level as a core value, turning COG into the internationally leading specialist provider for reliable, sustainable and cost-effective plant safety.
Comprising more than 1,000 employees spread across more than 30 locations globally, the business unit serves as the single source for highly specialised services at consistently high standards throughout the world. Sector-specific services help customers to keep control over their investment and operating costs. Further, the risk of service interruption and downtime in the operating phase can be mitigated significantly by ensuring the appropriate quality level during construction. All experts working for the global business unit contribute their longstanding experience in carrying out statutory and regulatory inspections and certification of plants. They provide individual support to owners to improve the safety, reliability and availability of their facilities as a basis for profitable operation.
Services at a Glance:
Process Safety Management
- Explosion protection and explosion protection documents (especially electrostatics)
- Thermal process safety concepts, process optimisation, pressure relief
- Assessment of criticality of powders, liquids and gases
- Selection of safety concepts and preventive actions
- Internal guidelines, expert reports, expert opinions, incident reports, audits, project management
- Risk assessments (ZHA, HAZOP, HAZAN, PAAG, FMEA, AMDEC, SIL…)
- REACH classification, labelling and packaging (CLP)
- Industrial health and safety, management systems, environmental protection
- Training courses, experiment presentations (electrostatics, explosions 1:1)
Plant & Equipment Integrity
- Quality management for investment projects throughout the world in accordance with national and international standards (AD 2000, EN 13445/13480, ASME, China GB), national regulations and customer specifications
- Support for manufacturer selection/auditing
- Review of purchasing specifications
- Support in issues addressing constructional design and material or welding requirements
- Strength, structural and stability analyses
- Stress and special analyses (e.g. FEM)
- Monitoring of production and quality assurance
- Approvals, inspections and certifications as per PED 2014/68/EU or TPED 2010/35/EU
Plant Safety & Inspection
- Expert reports (water legislation, German Air Pollution Control Act, German Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health)
- Support with safety issues and solutions Assistance with hazard assessments
- Systematic safety assessments
- Periodic inspections in the operation phase of production facilities as per the German Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health and water legislation (machinery, cranes and lifting installations and containers subject to transport law)
- Inspection of safety/process instrumentation, control systems and explosion protection measures
- Failure analyses and assessments
- Verification of maintenance measures
- Assessment of specialist workshops and organisations as per WHG (Water Management Act)
- Data administration and monitoring of inspection tools via proprietary IT tools
- Training of operating personnel/competent persons
- Support in the implementation of Knowledge Based Inspection/RBI/TÜV-RoiM® schemes
- Mechanical and technological tests
- Metallographic examinations and microstructural analyses (stationary and mobile)
- Corrosion monitoring
- Failure analyses and expert reports (e.g. materials and corrosion protection)
- Ultra-modern material testing laboratory in Frankfurt-Kalbach (DIN EN ISO/IEC 17020 and 17025)
- Destructive material testing
- Support in material selection where corrosion resistance and durability are critical
- Support and expertise for sealing systems
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH offers multidisciplinary project and system solutions and integrated processes for the chemical, process and pharmaceutical industries at international level. The inspection and certification body holds accreditations as a Notified Body and Approved Body. As a 100% subsidiary of TÜV SÜD AG, the service provider evolved from the former owner’s inspectorates and owner’s engineering departments of the German chemical and pharmaceutical companies Bayer, Dow Olefinverbund, and Hoechst. Operating from their sites in Germany, the USA, China, Singapore and India, the experts of the global business unit Chemical, Oil and Gas, which is headed by TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH, support their customers globally.
TÜV SÜD AG is an international service organisation catering to the strategic business segments
INDUSTRY, MOBILITY and CERTIFICATION. About 24,000 employees are represented at more than 850 locations worldwide. The interdisciplinary specialist teams work towards optimising technology, systems and know-how. As process partners they strengthen their clients’ competitiveness worldwide.
TÜV SÜD Chemie Service GmbH
Kaiser Wilhelm Allee, Building B 407
Tel.: +49 (0) 214 30-28183
Fax: +49 (0) 214 30-28197